To have a well-organized, immaculate, and classy backyard is the dream of every homeowner. No children toys lying around or gardening tools or old bicycles cluttering the place. There’s nothing but order and beauty everywhere you look. This is why people invest in a backyard shed.
Not every shed will work for you. There are size, material, and utilities to consider. We reviewed the best backyard sheds and found the Suncast 6′ x 3′ Cascade Storage Shed For Power Equipment And Yard Tools to satisfy all these requirements. It’s durable with double walls and a double door made from molded resin. The shingle-style roof with trusses allows it to handle all rain and snow very well. You can practically store any tool or equipment there including heavy duty ones. And it has a unique design that takes safety into consideration.
In our review of the top-selling backyard sheds, we set some standards that each shed needs to achieve to qualify for, and have a spot on this list. These standards are covered below. But first, here are the best 18 backyard sheds we reviewed are:
- Suncast 6′ x 3′ Cascade Storage Shed For Power Equipment And Yard Tools
- Suncast 6′ x 8′ Everett Vertical Storage Shed – Outdoor Storage for Backyard Tools and Accessories
- Suncast 8′ x 10′ Tremont Storage Shed – Outdoor Storage for Backyard Tools and Accessories
- Suncast Vertical Utility Shed – Outdoor Storage Shed for Backyards and Patios
- Keter Manor Large 4 x 6 ft. Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed
- Keter Factor Large 8 x 11 ft. Resin Outdoor Yard Garden Storage Shed, Taupe/Brown
- Keter Manor Large 6 x 8 ft. Resin Outdoor Backyard Garden Storage Shed
- Keter High Store 4.5 x 2.5 Vertical Outdoor Resin Storage Shed, Grey
- Lifetime Storage Building with Windows, 8′ x 5′
- Lifetime 6446 Outdoor Storage Shed with Shutters, Windows, and Skylights, 8 by 15 Feet
- Lifetime 6411 Outdoor Storage Shed with Window, 8 by 7.5 Feet
- LIFETIME 60202 8 x 10 Ft. Outdoor Storage Shed, Gray
- Arrow 8′ x 6′ Hamlet Storage Shed
- Arrow WR65 Steel 6 x 5 ft. Low Gable Galvanized Coffee/Woodgrain Storage Shed, Wood Grain
- Arrow 5′ x 4′ Brentwood Steel Outdoor Storage Shed with Sloped Metal Roof
- Rubbermaid FG5L2000SDONX Storage Shed 5×4 Feet, Sandalwood / Onyx Roof
- Rubbermaid FG374901OLVSS Vertical Storage Shed, Small, Beige
- Best Barns Woodville 10′ X 16′ Wood Shed Kit
18 Best Backyard Sheds Reviews
As an Alpine shed with great resistance to weather conditions, the Suncast delivers on its promises to keep your stuff dry, safe, and well protected. And above all, it gives you plenty of storage space which is handy whenever you need to declutter your attic, basement, and garage.First off, we were struck with the double-wall structure. Since it’s made from molded resin, it gives you extra protection against UV rays. But that’s not the only protection it offers. With its double doors and shingle-style roof with trusses and ridge beaming, your equipment is protected against the rain and snow or anything else Mother Nature might throw at you.
Aesthetics aside, this is a sturdy shed that adds value to your backyard and blends right in with its surroundings. And with about 14 windows in the transom above the double door, you really have a cozy storage place that can double as a workshop if you have a passion for tinkering and DIY projects.
- Made from molded resin for durability.
- Double walls and doors.
- 14 transom windows let in natural light.
- Alpine shingle-style roof with trusses for protection against snow and rain.
- UV rays-resistant.
- Reinforced floors.
- Installation instructions not detailed enough.
- Needs an air inlet port at the base to increase ventilation inside the shed.
Another shed from Suncast, that promises the same durability and protection that this company is known for. The Suncast Everett has all the great features that you would expect from a molded resin shed plus the convenience of being economical in size to fit in small backyards.The resin material has become the distinguishing features of these backyard sheds from Suncast. Unlike metal or wood sheds, the molded resin is easy to install, lightweight, and requires minimum maintenance. You won’t be worrying about mold, rot, or rust with this shed.
The reinforced floor is another quality that makes this shed stands out. You can practically store a small tractor or a forklift inside this shed without worrying about the floor breaking underneath. And if the floor fascinates you, wait till you see the roof. It has a series of skylights to allow natural light in even when the door is closed.
As for drawbacks, assembly really is one issue you’ll need to deal with. It will take two persons the best part of a day to install this shed.
- Durable molded resin for extra protection.
- Minimum maintenance required.
- Skylight windows.
- Reinforced floor that can hold a tractor.
- Needs two people to install it.
- Fitting the roof takes some maneuvering.
If you like the Suncast brand name but weren’t impressed with the previous two products due to their small size, you’re in luck. Because the Tremont is just what your spacious yard needs. This behemoth of a shed with its 80 square feet of floor space will take anything you throw in there and still have space for more.Safety is another major concern of this shed, considering that you might use it to store heavy machinery and valuable tools in there. The doors are lockable with a padlock and the solid design prevents any leaks to protect your tools.
You can easily store a lot of different tools and equipment in there as well as items of various sizes and shapes. From machines to long-handled brooms and gardening tools to ladders and bikes. The result is a clean and well-organized yard that’s safe for the children to play in.
Another feature that got our attention was the 16 transom windows above the door. You can close the door and still get plenty of light to see inside, even without electricity installed in the shed.
- 80 square feet of floor space for storage.
- Lockable doors for extra safety.
- Handles plenty of items of various shapes, sizes, and weights.
- On the expensive side.
- The floor is not as sturdy as in other products.
The last Suncast product to make it on this list is the Suncast Vertical Utility Shed. Naturally, this one is rather small and has a specific purpose: to store long handled tools and gardening accessories.But just because it’s there to store tools, doesn’t mean it should shabby or out of place in your backyard. It’s sleek design and wood-like texture make it a stylish addition to every backyard. You can erect this shed with its earthy tone right opposite a brick wall to get a gritty effect.
Made from the same resin mold as all other Suncast sheds on this list, this is a tool shed that can handle all weather conditions without showing signs of wear and tear or compromising the integrity of the tools kept inside.
As for drawbacks, there are two. The first has to do with limited color options. It only comes in one earthy color which can be an eyesore in most backyards. The shed isn’t lockable which means anyone including a child can open the door and access what’s inside.
- Dual-wall plastic resin.
- Suitable for storing long-handled tools.
- 10-year warranty.
- Limited color options.
- Doesn’t come with shelves from small items.
We have seen so far that most backyard storage sheds have more or less the same qualities. So what sets one apart from the rest? The Keter Manor shed has the answer for us. It has both the looks and functionality to prove that it’s a serious contender in the crowded sheds market.But first we need to address the name of the product. The word ‘large’ in the title doesn’t imply the size of the shed. So don’t get any ideas about buying a shed that would magically swallow all your clutter. This shed has 24 square feet of floor space on a good day, which isn’t exactly the Goliath of sheds.
Size aside, this shed excels in other ways. It’s made from polypropylene resin plastic which is known for its durability and low-maintenance endearing qualities. The Manor comes with steel reinforcements to bolster the strength and sturdiness of the shed.
We also liked the quaint window and the grayish color which fits nicely in any backyard. And since it doesn’t take much space, you can prop it up in any corner to keep it out of the way.
- Stylish wood-like texture.
- Made from polypropylene resin plastic.
- Steel reinforcements.
- Limited storage space.
- One color option.
Another Keter backyard shed, only this one lives up to its name. The Factor is as large as they come with 88 square feet of floor space. This gives you about 550 cubic feet of storage capacity which is enough to empty out half your house if you exclude the heavy furniture.The Factor also addressed the limited color options of other products and offered a line of sheds that come in various neutral colors. This solves the problem of sheds looking out of place or sticking out like a sore thumb.
Now with a large size comes extra weight. This shed weigh about 300 pounds and requires a group of people to carry and assemble it. It might be a good idea to call in your buddies on a weekend and promise them all the pizza they can eat to help you with installing the shed.
Apart from this impediment, the roof itself doesn’t live up to expectations. It’s held together with plastic snap buttons. These are not sturdy enough to withstand a good storm or even a heaving gust of wind.
- Large space and good storage capacity.
- Comes in different neutral colors.
- Steel reinforcements to the polypropylene resin plastic.
- Heavy and not easy to install.
- Flimsy plastic buttons hold the roof to the structure.
This Manor shed from Keter is a slightly larger version of the other Manor we just reviewed. But don’t get us wrong, there’s more to it than just a few extra cubic feet of storage. Otherwise we wouldn’t be listing it here. So what other advantages does it bring to your backyard?For starters, it added a floor to the design. This floor panel will help you in two ways. First, it will keep all your items safe from the rain or water in case your backyard floods. The other, it saves you the time and expenses of installing a concrete floor yourself.
Made from the same material that Keter specializes in, you won’t have problems with rot, peeling, or rust with this shed. And although it lacks the variety of colors that other products have, it will appeal to many people with its ventilation airway and side window.
On the downside, you don’t get much storage space and stowing a bicycle inside it will take up practically all the space you have left.
- Affordable price.
- Floor panel to protect the stored items.
- Durable and requires little maintenance.
- Pre-drilled holes in the metal frames are off.
- As tedious to assemble as putting together an Ikea piece of furniture
Keter still has another product to tempt us. This one is a utilities storage shed that gives you enough space to stow all your tall and slender tools, that’s gardening jargon for brooms and rakes. Not everyone has power tools and old motorcycles they need a large shed for.The walls of this shed are reinforced with ribs for extra solidity. The same resin which is popular for sheds forms the thick walls of this shed with nickel hinges thrown in for good measure. But that’s not all this shed has for your storage needs. It also has adjustable brackets to support shelves. The shelves are not included.
This shed is highly customizable too. Not only can you drill the walls and add extra shelves or fix some hooks for your various tools, you can also paint them and give your shed the right patina that goes with your artistic sensibilities.
- Made from durable resin with nickel hinges.
- Customizable walls that can be drilled and repainted.
- Rib-reinforced walls.
- Adjustable brackets.
- Shelves are not included.
- Shed is not waterproof.
- Doors are not sealed.
Lifetime still has to make a few couple appearances on this list. This time with a medium sized shed that is both quaint and hefty at the same time. The quainteness comes from the design. When fully installed it will look like something straight out of a fairy tale. But to get that idyllic look, you’ll need to deal with 426 pounds of material.Made from high-density polyethylene with powder-coated steel for reinforcements, you’ll need a couple more guys to get this beast of a shed properly installed. The double doors are lockable with a padlock and an inner spring latch.
To add to the fairy tale atmosphere, the shed has a side window. It’s both lockable and shatter-proof for added security. There are also two high impact polycarbonate skylights and two screened vents.
- Quaint appearance.
- Powder-coated steel for reinforcements.
- Lockable and shatter-proof side window.
- Too heavy to handle for one person alone.
- Difficult installation.
When you’re looking for a backyard shed that can double as a small house, Lifetime 6446 serves this exact purpose. With 120 square feet of space, you have plenty of options of how to use it. It’s good for storage, living, play, hobbies, and DIY projects. The sky’s the limit, really.And for a large space like this, both lighting and ventilation are extremely important. But that’s something the Lifetime 6446 has taken care of in abundance. Starting from the top, we have 6 skylights on the roof for well-distributed lighting. Then there are two shatterproof polycarbonate windows at the front.
For ventilation you get two screened vents, two decorative shutters, and two peg strips. Coupled with high-density polyethylene with steel wall supports, the shed is as low maintenance and durable as they come.
- Heavy-duty steel trusses.
- 120 square feet of multipurpose space.
- Plenty of lighting and ventilations.
- Ships in seperate boxes.
- Requires experts to install it.
If the previous Lifetime shed was too large for your yard, the Lifetime 6411 got your covered. This shed, while not boasting of high storage capacity, still has a few notches under its belt. When it comes to strength, that’s one shed you can rely on to take you through thick and thin.
The dual walls are made from high-density polyethylene construction with steel reinforcements. The roof is high-pitched to drain the rain and snow much quicker. And the door are high-arched and also steel-reinforced for extra strength and durability.
Ventilation and lighting are two of the qualities that we appreciated in this shed. There are three small skylights, a shatter-proof side window, two peg strips, and two screened vents.
- High-density polyethylene dual walls with steel reinforcements.
- Plenty of ventilation and lighting features.
- Five shelves included.
- Hard to install on a windy day.
- Vague instructions.
Since most of the backyard sheds we have seen invariably have their weakest link in the roof, Lifetime made a point of address this problem. Their solution which the Lifetime 60202 is a good representation of is to add steel trusses to buttress the roof. Not just any steel for this matter. It’s heavy-duty steel, no less.
So that’s about the functionality, but what about looks? Appearances are one of the draws of this shed. It comes in one gray color, but thanks to the wood-grain texture, it adds aesthetic value to any backyard. In addition the door has a slider latch which has a retro vibe to it.
Besides these appealing features, the ridge of the shed has a full-length skylight that floods the interior with plenty of natural light. And with the Alpine roof, you get a well-designed and practical shed all rolled into one.
On the downside, we have a flooring issue. The floor looks great but doesn’t handle weight that well. So you’ll need to watch out when placing heavy tools in there.
- Heavy-duty steel trusses reinforces the Alpine roof.
- Full-length skylight in the ridge.
- Slider latches to lock and unlock the door.
- Flimsy flooring issue.
- Not easy to put together.
The first metal shed we review here is the Arrow Hamlet. Don’t let the idyllic name fool you though. This steel storage shed is as basic and efficient as they come. With its white and green colors, it doesn’t make any claims other than a structure to store tools.To resist rust and erosion, the steel is galvanized and treated with a layer of baked-on enamel. It offers 230 cubic feet of storage which you can use to store lawn equipment, toys, tires, and old bicycles. There’s nothing this shed won’t take and protect.
The absence of ventilation and lighting however is a drawback. It might increase the security of the shed, especially with the lockable door, but once you close the door, it’s pitch black in there and you need a source of light to see your way around.
- Solid shed made from galvanized steel with baked-on enamel.
- 230 cubic feet of storage space.
- Secure and durable.
- Plain and lacks style.
- Installing it is a handful and needs to be done in a single day.
As you probably noticed by now, Arrow is a company that specializes in galvanized steel sheds that put functionality over looks. But since many people don’t just want an uninspiring and plain shed in their backyard, the Arrow WR65 tries to remedy that persisting issue with their products.
The solution is a wood-grain look that needs closer inspection to assert that this shed is actually made from steel not wood. It’s a step in the right direction and the shed has an appealing look about it.
The other innovation has to do with the sliding doors. They don’t open in or out, rather slide to the side and let you in with ease. However, that’s just about everything that makes this shed stand out from the rest of the Arrow products.
- Wood-grain look to camouflage the galvanize steel.
- Sliding doors for easy access to the shed.
- As with steel sheds, it’s not easy to assemble.
- No windows or skylights.
The last Arrow shed we review here is the Brentwood shed that’s mainly for utilities and tools. Made from galvanized steel and treated with zinc it resists erosion and rust requiring minimum maintenance.The sliding door feature persists in this product and it has enough space to store long items such as gardening tools, pool accessories, and lawn equipment. The reinforced walls and slope design give it strength and prevents rainwater pooling on the roof.
Metal sheds are usually heavy and hard to install. This one is not an exception. Most likely you’ll need an expert to put it together.
- Galvanized steel walls treated with zinc.
- Slope design to keep water off the roof.
- Heavy and hard to assemble.
Rubbermaid takes us back to the now only too familiar world of resin sheds. Which means the Rubbermaid FG5L2000SDONX is a sturdy, durable, low-maintenance shed that’s also easy to install.But the qualities don’t stop there. The shed comes with an impact-resistant floor that protects your items against water and rust. And the best part, at least in our opinion, is that the shed can be customized. You can add shelves, pegboards, and racks to store all your items.
- An impact-resistant floor.
- Easy to customize with anchors, shelves, and racks.
- Low-maintenance and durable.
- Rather heavy and needs 2 people to put together.
If you’re looking for a tool shed that doesn’t take up much space and combines good appearance with functionality, you couldn’t go wrong with the Rubbermaid GF374901OLVSS. It prevents leaks and is so sturdy and impact-resistant, it’s not easy to dent.You can use this shed to store all the small items that you don’t know where to put. From brooms and rakes to gardening accessories. You can also install shelves to accommodate for various items. However, the shelves are not included.
The average storage space is about 18 square feet which is spacious enough to cater for a lot of long-handled tools. As long as you’re not looking to stow a lawn mower or a forklift in it, it will do fine.
- Impact-resistant and leak-resistant sturdy shed.
- Easy to maintain and assemble.
- Lets you add shelves for custom storing.
- High price tag.
- Shelves not included.
The last shed on our list comes from Best Barn. We like to think that we saved the best for last. But this shed isn’t the best of the bunch although it came very close. It’s more like a barn than a shed with its loft which can be accessed from the inside.Made from wood, it has all the qualities of pine wood and Louisiana-Pacific exterior siding. The trusses reinforcing the roof can handle winds of up to 140 mph in speed. This is good news if you live in areas often hit by hurricanes.
- White pine walls primed with embossed cedar texture.
- 50 year limited warranty.
- Reinforced roof withstands 140 mph wind.
- Comes with a loft that you can access from the inside.
- Maintenance is an issue.
- Needs experts for installation.
Things to Consider Before Buying
The Shed Size
Since the main purpose of having a backyard shed is to store all your stuff, then size does matter. And by size, we mean the floor space and the height. Keep in mind that you’ll need to utilize every inch of that space both horizontal and vertical.
When choosing the best shed for your needs you need to consider two things: the available space in your backyard and the amount of tools and equipment you need to store away. This helps you pick the right shed that will not make your backyard look more overcrowded than before you set up the shed.
Next you need to calculate the size of the shed. To get the floor space area, multiply the width and the length. And to measure the vertical space, get the measurements of each wall and multiply them by three (the fourth wall is where you have the door).
Types of Sheds
Sheds are basically categorized based on the material they’re made of. And on that basis, we have three types of sheds.
- Wood: Sheds made from wood are usually more expensive and require a lot of time and expertise to assemble. In addition, wood sheds are less durable than other types since they’re exposed to the merciless elements.
- Metal: Known for their durability, metal sheds are usually made from either steel or aluminum. They can take a good battering from the sun, rain, and snow without showing signs of aging. However, rust can be their Achilles heel, so maintenance is necessary.
- Polyethylene: That’s a fancy name for durable plastic. Plastic sheds come in various colors and designs to fit every decor which make the backyard more stylish. They don’t require maintenance since they resist the damage of the sun and are easy to install.
Not all backyard sheds are simple storage boxes. Some can have electricity and even a water supply for any project you like to do there. If you want to have these utilities in your shed, then you’d better lay the infrastructure well in advance.
Similar to the utilities, you also need to give the location of the shed some thought. The last thing you’d want is to place it on top of a gas line or a septic tank. And while we’re talking about utilities, make sure the shed you purchase can handle the installations you want to equip it with.
Benefits of Owning a Storage Shed
If you’re still on the fence about why you’d want to go through the trouble and expense of purchasing and installing a backyard shed, let me lay out the benefits for you.
- You get more storage space where you keep all the clutter out of the backyard and the house.
- A shed can double as a place to enjoy your hobbies and DIY projects. This is where you’d want to install electricity and maybe a sink as well.
- The shed can also keep all the stuff which clutter your garage. This includes heavy equipment, power tools, tires, cans of paint, old bicycles, and sport equipment.
- A shed is a long-term investment that adds value to your property.
- It’s also a safety measure that keeps kids safe and prevents any accidents by keeping dangerous tools and hazards out of reach.
There is more information you need to know about backyard sheds.
After such a lengthy tour of the backyard sheds, which one stood out and offered more features and benefits than it cost? Hands down, the best backyard shed of this lot is the Suncast 6′ x 3′ Cascade Storage Shed For Power Equipment And Yard Tools. As a shed that strikes a good balance between quality and price, this is a product that’s worth every penny.
We really liked the multi-wall panels which gives the shed durability and strength. And since it’s made from UV rays-resistant molded resin, it’s easy to clean and doesn’t fade, crack, or rot. The reinforced floor also plays a major role in protecting your stored items and prevents leaks.
For high quality and an affordable price, we recommend this product for everyone looking for a backyard shed that will serve them for many years to come.
Mike Zhang. Founder of FamilyLifeShare