When dealing with heavy metal structures, on certain tool are up for the job of combining and formulating them together. There are many cool selections out there, but the one tool that has the potential to be one of the best apparatuses out there is a stick welder.
A stick welder is an instrument that aides in the welding family that uses an electrical arc for heating pieces of metals; and the best stick welder that we chose is the EVERLAST PowerARC Welder. This device comes with the necessary fixings for being able to effectively weld on-the-go.
There’s more information about this device to come, I’ll share with you 15 best stick welders that we have to offer.
- EVERLAST PowerARC 140STi 140amp Lift Start TIG / Stick IGBT Welder Dual Voltage
- Amico ARC-160D, 160 Amp Stick ARC IGBT Inverter DC Welder 115/230 Dual Voltage Welding Soldering
- ARC Welder 200A Stick Welding Machine IGBT Digital Inverter Welder 220V DC Lift TIG Portable Welding Machine HITBOX
- Forney Easy Weld 298 Arc Welder 100ST, 120-Volt, 90-Amp
- Lotos LTPDC2000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter Tig Welder and Stick Welder 3 in 1 Combo Welding Machine,? Inch Clean Cut,Brown
- SUNGOLDPOWER ARC MMA 200A Welder Dual 110V 220V IGBT Hot Start Welding Machine DC Inverter Welder 200 AMP LCD Anti-Stick
- 2019 EVERLAST PowerARC 160STH 160amp HF TIG Stick IGBT Welder 110/220 Dual Voltage
- LINCOLN ELECTRIC CO K1170 AC225, 60Hz Arc Welder
- 2018 AHP AlphaTIG 200X 200 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder with PULSE 110v 220v 3 YEARS WARRANTY
- Hobart 500570 Stickmate 160i
- Forney Easy Weld 299 125FC Flux Core Welder, 120-Volt, 125-Amp
- PrimeWeld Ct520d 50 Amps Plasma Cutter, 200 Amps Tig Welder and 200 Amps Stick Welder Combo
- Goplus MIG 130 Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding Machine w/Free Mask
- C.M.T Pitbull Ultra-Portable 100-Amp Electric Arc Welder – 110V
- HITBOX ARC160 Stick MMA Welding Machine 220V Inverter Portable Rod Stick Arc Welder
15 Best Stick Welders Reviews
Up first is our top pick for stick welders, the EVERLAST PowerARC Stick. It has flexibility to work in various types of environments, and has a high performance rate for being a small utility class welder.
This stick welder conveniently includes the stick torch, along with the cagle and DINSE style connector, the gas valve, TIG torch with cable and DINSE connector, and also the work clamp!
The machine has 120V/240V dual-voltage capability, giving the welder ample opportunity to create.
In addition, it has the benefit of auto adaptive Hot Start and auto adaptive arc force control, in stick mode, which improves weldability in hard-to-start welding electrodes, and in situations where the rod regulator is optional.
- Lightweight for its size.
- Easy to use.
- Awesome value for money.
- Cuts through metal adequately.
- No foot pedal included.
- TIG capability can sometimes lack in functionality.
With a cool aesthetic and powerful features, the Amico ARC Welding Machine is an awesome choice for your welding desires.
The components of the apparatus are lightweight and strong, which makes it perfect for both personal and professional usage. The machine has been designed with optimized tools that are attached and included with this machine, that makes spark splatter and post-weld cleanup super easy.
The ARC Welder has advanced IGBT inverter technology, great Arc stability, hot start, anti-sticking properties, steeples amperage control, force adjust, and compatible with all generators!
And in the end, there’s even an intelligently-designed fran that operates when welding has started, to cool internal components and reduce airborne contaminants that are pulled through the power source.
This particular feature is important for clean air flow for a polished finish.
- Great value for cost.
- Amazing for beginner welders.
- Durable and long-lasting material.
- Amperage setting may seem challenging to operate.
- May generate hard starts.
Got a sizeable job that needs welding? The ARC Welder 200A Stick Welding Machine might be able to help you out.
It’s a smart welding machine that’s capable of welding stainless steel with it IGBT 60A, automatic current adjustment, magnificent Arc stability, Hot start and anti-sticking properties.
The controls are a powerful due to their stats: 220V 200A smart chip, with a rated input current of 38.5A; the output current is between 20 and 200A, and it has an output voltage of 60% on duty cycle.
The ARC Welder is also suitable for 2.0 to 4.0 rods. The best part about this welder is the fact that it’s made to be portable!
It has an easy carrying handle and a compact design; and the fact that it’s only about 10 pounds, it makes storage and travel very efficient.
- Simple portability for easy transport.
- Decent accuracy.
- Viable and legible information display.
- Cords are short.
- Direct current capabilities only.
When you’re looking for a device that you can use that’s functional and compact, try out the Forney Easy Weld Arc Welder.
For starters, it’s compact in size, and has one of the most efficient portability features for a welding machine. Although it’s a highly functioning welder, the Forney Easy weld is also great for beginners, hobbyists, and do-it-yourself projects.
It has weld gauges up to 5/16 of an inch, has a 120V input, with a 90 amp output; and it includes the stick welder, along with TIG capabilities.
Also included in this welder is the steel ground clamp, medium duty electrode Holder, straight head chipping hammer, electrode holder, with the cable, and a CO2 reader!
- Efficient portability.
- Great for beginners and hobbyist
- Easy to learn and use.
- No foot pedal operation.
- TIG torch not included.
- May seem limiting to more experienced welders.
It may seem like a basic device, but the Lotos Non-Touch 3-in-1 combo welding machine is all except oversimplified.
The set up takes only minutes due to the pre-installed NPT ¼ inch type D plugs and air filter regulator; this can quickly connect the air compressor by using the stand coupler on your air compressor.
This apparatus also has a non-touch plasma cutter, with an output of 10-50AMP amps. The Pilot Arc torch easily cuts through rough or painted surfaces, with little slag.
The TIG welder has a 15-200AMP DC electric output, and great precision when cutting thin-gauge material. The Lotos is also suitable for different kinds of acid or basic electrodes because of its DC stick.
- Makes for simple welding for small jobs.
- 3-in-1 combo with the Air Plasma Cutter, TIG welder, a Stick welder.
- Has dual voltage capabilities.
- Welding leads have short length.
- May require extra feet of space for safety.
- Air Plasma Cutter has a likely chance of sticking.
Although the SUNGOLDPOWER ARC Welding machine is a small device to use for welding, don’t let that deter you from its other powerful attributes.
It has an advanced control module with IGBT MMA welder, along with advanced full bridge IGBT inverter technology. The components have a anti-sticking mechanism, which will prevent against overloading the device, while creating ease while removing the electrodes.
There’s also thermostatic control, and fan to aide in the consistent cooling of the machine. It even comes with a carrying strap and handle for a simple grab-and-go.
More protection comes in the form of overvoltage and undervoltage protection, overcurrent protection, and overload protection.
- Includes AC Plug, electrode holder, and earth clamp and cable.
- Great value for cost.
- Lightweight and easy to transport.
- Lots of protection features.
- Ground clamp could be of higher quality.
- Short length between cords and unit.
- Amp gauge has room for improvement when it comes to accuracy.
The inverter technology on the 2019 EVERLAST PowerARC Welder will leave you in awe when you experience how powerful it is, while using minimal amounts of energy.
It has an efficient and stable DC arc Low Power Consumption capability with 35% duty cycle. The Hot Start is available on this device too, which gives you the option for reduced electrode sticking.
You’ll be able to read the current setting of the device on the digital display of the Lift Start TIG, and control standard HF with the auto-regulated Arc force.
Oh, you can also use the DINSE style connectors to ensure that your input and output connections are correct and secure. The PowerARC welder also have convenience features like an impact resistant carrying case, and an over-the-shoulder carrying strap.
- Effective features and components.
- Foot pedal capabilities
- Dual voltage and dual processing welder
- Highly efficient on duty cycle.
- Does not do 6010 rods.
- Gas intake coupling may need to be tightened frequently.
- Pedal sold separately.
The Lincoln Electric Arc Welder has a broad feature of prospective uses when it comes to welding.
It’s amperage is a widespread range of 40 to 225 amps!
The AC-225 produces a significantly smooth alternative current arc for welding a wide variety of materials including, but not limited to, carbon stainless steel, low alloy, and cast iron!
Another great benefit is that this welder has the capability to not only engage in small projects, but also total projects where 16 gauge metals or heavier have to be welded!
This feature alone makes the Lincoln Electric welder versatile and design for just about any project you take on.
- Powerful welder with a smooth AC arc.
- Can carry out a wide variety of projects.
- 3 year parts and labor warranty.
- Electrode handles may need replacement after several uses.
- Emits a solid buzzing sound during operation.
- Possibly overpriced for functionality.
The 2018 AHP Alpha-TIG200X welder can live up to your expectations as an adequate welding device.
Its powerful 200 amp Alternative Current/Direct Current TIG welder has stick functioning, allow it both professionals and hobbyists get in on a wide range of welding options. The AHP Welder offers professional quality that will help you save when it comes to your budget.
What’s interesting about the AHP welder is its power source; it uses power width modulation, along with IGBT technology to give you a reliable and longer lasting source for sparking up and welding metal together.
More specs include performing at a high level on both 110V, or 150 amp output, and 220V input, with a full range of cleaning and pulse features. The TIG system is adequate as well, giving you the option for separate TIG control operations, including adding a trigger switch to the torch.
- Metal foot pedal control capabilities.
- Accurate when displaying information.
- Great cost for functionality.
- Solid face value presentation of functions.
- Takes several turns to get device started efficiently.
- Machine can run hot in a short amount of time.
- Stick function has room for improvement when compared to TIG function.
The Hobart 500570 Stickmate is an ideal stick for welders of do-it-yourself projects, farming or ranch style welding, metal art, or even the classic repair and maintenance.
The Arc start with hot start technology for a sure spark each time.
Direct Current is the preferred output for the stick welding process, and has the capacity to have fewer amount of outages during your work period; it also promotes less sticking, less spatter, and effective control over the arc.
It’s powerful, and yet still 100 pounds less than the bigger bulkier welders, meaning that this device does fairly well during travel and relocation.
More features of the Hobart Stickmate is the connection to 120V or 240V input power, and allows for receptacles of the same voltage, without tools with MVP adapter. It can weld up to 5/32 inch mild steel, and provides up to 160 amps.
- Great length of space between component cord and unit.
- Lightweight for easy portability.
- Awesome pick for serious hobbyist
- Direct Current output only.
- Low duty cycle percentage.
- Electrode clamp may need tightening after several uses.
The Forney Easy Weld Flux Core Welder is a simple flux-core welding machine that doesn’t require shielding gas, because it doesn’t require gas.
This welder can be used by professionals, or serious do-it-yourself hobbyist, but it’s perfect for the beginning, or practicing welder. The Easy Weld 125 FC comes with a ground clamp, as well as a MIG gun.
It uses a .030 inch flux-core wire for most of the heavy lifting; meaning that the fluxis built into the wire and provides the shielding that is necessary over the molten weld puddle.
It even has a feature where if you have thin material, you can set the machine to thin plate setting, with a higher wire feed speed; and for thicker material, set the machine on steel plate, with a lower wire feed speed!
- Great for novice welders.
- Works well with both light and heavy metals.
- Excellent value for the price.
- Lacks in functionality when it comes to industrial projects.
- May create splatter towards the end of the duty cycle.
- May cause beading in tight welding areas.
When they say “combo”, they mean it! The PrimeWeld CT520D Welder Combo is a multipurpose unit that offers different welding and cutting functions.
First, by using the 50A plasma cutting function, it’s able to cut through various types of metal up to ½ an inch. Second, this device has the capability to switch between Direct Current TIG Welder and Direct Current Stick Welder just as easy as turning the device on and off.
In addition, the Arc welding function is a notable feature that will aide in creating smooth cuts in those harder curved areas.
Due to it’s awesome functionality, this unit weighs approximately 32 pounds; meaning that its a hand carrying object that is portable and reliable.
Let’s not forget about the duty cycle, which is around 60% at max amps on all of the welding machine’s processes.
- 3-in-1 combo with arc and plasma cutting functioning, TIG, and Stick capabilities.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Works well with personal projects.
- Arc functioning may require frequent maintenance.
- No pilot arc in cut mode.
A power-packed machine with many features to spare, the Goplus MIG 130 Welder is made for various kinds of projects.
It’s a household smart welder that is setup with a MIG gas welder that is ensured to last for a long time.
One of the most prominent features of the MIG 130 welder is the flux-core wire, as well as a self-release metal-inert gas during welding session, that also prevent oxidation of the welded part.
It also features four levels of adjustable welding speed, from minimum to maximum. In addition, there is a wire feeding speed adjust rotary knob, which entails ten different levels of speed!
The MIG 130 also has two air-vents, a welding gun with great safety features, a triangle ground cord, and automatic thermal protection. There’s also a welding wire reel, protection mask, and brush/chipping hammer, all included!
- Amazing features and bonus materials.
- Fairly easy to use.
- Adjustable welding speeds.
- Great value for price.
- Face mask lens may seem very dark.
- Wire may melt if it hits various surfaces.
- Not a DC output welder.
The C.M.T. Pitbull Electric Arc Welder is a wind-powered unit that has significant features that make it a concise choice for any new welder on the scene.
The unit provides 100 amp and 110V standard plug, which makes it a great option for arc welding. It’s also extremely portable, weighing in at only 28 pounds.
No matter the size, however, the power is still there. This electric arc welder has the ability to cut through ⅛ thick mild steel with ease and precision!
With the C.M.T. Pitbull capabilities of arc welding, along with some added features and free face mask, it can be a superb choice for people who are just starting out with the sparks, or for hobbyists who are in the market for a new welder.
- Amazing arch welding capability.
- Great welder to use for learning.
- Awesome price for functionality.
- Highly portable.
- Only works with a 6013 rod.
- Stinger lacks in power for deep cuts.
- Tends to buzz while in welding mode.
If you want a smart welding machine, the HITBOX ARC160 Welding Machine might be the right pick for you.
This inverter welder can switch from AC power to DC, then perform a step down transformation to create the correct voltage and current. At a weight of eight pounds, the design is made to be portable and convenient for on-the-go welding.
The machine also has digital control MMA Stick and Lift TIG, 190 to 250V 50/60Hz input current, at a rated output of 30 amps; and the duty cycle uses 3.2 mm rods.
Included in this comprehensive welder’s package is the welder itself, electrode holder, and earth clamp and plug. Oh, and I’ll also mention that the MMA 160A welder is capable of welding carbon steel!
- Portable and lightweight.
- Easily switches from AC to DC
- Phenomenal Duty Cycle.
- May require larger outlets for the plug.
- Short distance between cords and unit.
Things to Consider Before Buy
Pros & Cons Of Stick Welding
There are several reasons as to why stick welding is a fine choice for processing metals. Some of these advantages include:
- Changing rods for different metals is easy.
- It’s an effective process in wind or rain.
- The equipment required is not very expensive.
- It doesn’t need external shielding gas, which is a big money saver.
On the other hand, there are also some limitations as well, considering:
- It can be a slow process when compared to others.
- It can be challenging to weld thinner metals.
- The rods have to be replaced more frequently than in other forms of welding.
Types Of Stick Welders
Stick welding is one of the most common forms of arc welding, and is separated into different types.
Some of these types of stick welders include Plasma Arc welding, Metal Arc welding, Carbon Arc welding, Gas Metal Arc or Gas Tungsten Arc welding, along with Submerged Arc welding.
Inverter or Transformer
Compared to transformers, inverters are way more lightweight; up to half the weight as some transformer machines.
Inverter technology is a better choice too if you plan on moving around as you weld, or taking your welding station with you to different locations.
Transformer technology is better in industrial situations. If you are stationary within a factory or welding setting, and using large pieces of metal, then the transformer is the right option for you.
A frequently asked question within the welding world is “What is the average amperage of a stick welder?” The answer to that is, on average, 200 amps.
Now most stick projects require 200 amps or less when dealing with average thin sheets of metal.
However, when it comes to welding ⅜ of an inch thick, or inch-thick, metal, this amperage may rise to 225 to 300, but will still suffice around 200 amps, by making multiple passes through the metal sheet.
The voltage of a stick welder is dependent on the thickness of the metal sheet.
Because arc welding require a range of circuitry, whether it be open or closed, they voltage input for a stick welder can be anywhere between 20 volts and 100.
When it comes to the voltage that already inside of the equipment, that that’s a different story. The internal voltage of the equipment tends to be a lot higher, and can range from 120 volts, to a whopping 575 volts!
With an average voltage count of 200 to 400 volts, a stick welder will most likely produce anywhere between 500 and 800 volts of direct current. More voltage is possible due to the type of machine you’re working with, whether it be inverted or a transformer.
A duty cycle is the amount of time, within a 10-minute time frame, that a welder can operate.
At 200 amps, a stick welder can be used for two minutes at a time before it will need to cool down for another eight minutes.
The amperage and duty cycle are proportional; the higher the voltage, the longer the cool down time for the machine.
A stick welder has the capacity to input about 200 to 500 volts of electricity through the machine. The voltage is determinant by the power need to exert the right amount of heat to cut through a metal sheet.
The input voltage can of course be higher, but that would require a different, more powerful stick welder, and may even need a transformer to properly manipulate the surplus amount of energy.
Stick welders are extremely portable! Their size is approximately no bigger than a sheet cake, and no heavier than several ten so of pounds.
If you do end up with a stick welder that requires more power, the stick welder may be bigger, but it can sometimes come with wheeled case for easy toting.
Stick welders are pretty versatile when it comes to hinging joints and alloy. It fairly affordable, making it more accessible to the everyday welder, and has many functional features.
This instrument can be used outside, as well as indoors. In addition, it’s one of the best options for creative an effective bond on dirty or rusty metal.
Well, that does it for our list of the best stick welders. You deserve the best, and that’s what this article is here to provide.
We reviewed the central factors like duty cycle, input and output power, accessories, and even portability; and although they all make the cut, the EVERLAST PowerARC Welder is still our victor.
It includes the torches and clamps that are necessary for welding, DINSE connectors for efficient energy flow, and adequate power for welding personal projects!
For such a compact welder, it certainly does create a concise and effective product.
Mike Zhang. Founder of FamilyLifeShare