There are primarily three types of receipt printers. These are the impact, thermal, and inkjet printers. Considering the substantial need for receipt printers, we went out to curate the best receipt printers you can get in the market. If you don’t have much time to spare, we will go right at it.
Our best overall pick for a receipt printer is the Epson ReadyPrint T20 Direct Thermal Printer. We love this printer for its incredible printing speed, versatility (in terms of the extensive range of devices it is compatible with), and affordability.
We couldn’t pick the right receipt printers for you without testing them to have a realistic feel of their efficiency. We will be exploring the best we have tested so far while being honest enough to point out their best strengths and respective weaknesses.
Of course, change is constant. New powerful receipt printers will emerge in the market while the current best performers could lose relevance. Therefore, we will regularly update this review to reflect the best receipt printers in the market at any given time.
13 Best Receipt Printers Reviews
1. Epson ReadyPrint T20 Direct Thermal Printer – Monochrome – Desktop – Receipt Print (C31CB10021)
The Epson ReadyPrint T20 Direct Thermal Printer deploys the thermal line printing technology. Thanks to the 42 Colum Mode, you can trust this receipt printer to give your customer detailed receipts.
With an impressive printing speed of 200mm/s, you will get your receipt printing done speedily. This combined with the plurality of its character options makes this printer one of the best to have emerged from Epson.
In this receipt printer, you have two character sizes. These are the 1.25 × 3 mm and the 0.88 × 2.13 mm. You can also make the best of the two fonts style that come with this receipt printer. These are the 12 x 24 character and the 9 x 17 character.
You would be delighted with the preset design of the 95 alphanumeric characters and the 18 set character. Overall, this receipt printer is notably portable, with a lightweight design, which makes it far easier to carry with you.
The affordability of this printer makes it even more attractive. Its relative plenty of features would be quite rare to get from other high-end thermal printers at the low cost of the Epson ReadyPrint T20 Direct Thermal Printer. Nonetheless, lacking a wireless connection, it is quite limiting moving it about.
- It is versatile, working with an extensive range of devices
- It cuts your paper automatically
- It has a commendable printing speed
- It is relatively affordable
- It lacks Bluetooth connection
2. Star Micronics TSP650II BTi 39449871 Bluetooth Desktop Receipt Printer
Next comes the Star Micronics TSP650II. This is one of the best wireless receipt printers you can get your hands on in the market today. It works well with desktop and mobile devices.
If you have almost been bored to death with the rigidity and immobility of receipt printers that are cable connected, this printer gives you your deserved relief. This printer is equipped with an auto-cutter (thanks to its guillotine cutter drop-in technology), which gets your paper automatically cut for you.
It boasts a remarkable speed of 300mm/ sec. Trust me, such speed is very rare to find in the market. You will also love this printer for its external power supply and printing resolution of 203 dpi. This enables your customers to enjoy all the details and eligibility they can get in their receipts.
Durability isn’t much of a problem as this printer comes with a brushed stainless steel base 6″ deep and 3″ wide. We were also impressed with its extensive compatibility with Windows, Android, and iOS devices.
However, we were a bit let down by the inability of the printer to be connected simultaneously to multiple devices, although we could set it up as a network printer. This enabled several printers to print on the Star Micronics TSP650II.
- It drains slowly, thanks to its robust battery pack
- It has extensive compatibility
- It is Bluetooth connected making it more mobile
- Can be connected with only one device at a time
- It is not very affordable
- Occasional lagging when printing
3. EOM-POS Thermal Receipt Printer – USB, Ethernet/LAN, Serial Ports – Auto Cutter – Beeper/Buzzer- Cash Drawer Port – Paper Width 3 1/8″ (80mm) – for Linux and Windows – NOT for Square
The EOM-POS Thermal Receipt Printer is another receipt printer we fell in love with for its compatibility with a wide range of Windows applications. You will agree this is for lovers of dedicated Windows-based printers.
It is equipped with auto cutting, meaning you don’t have to bother manually tearing your receipts up. We will admit, we were quite stuck at times using it, especially the installations.
However, when we reached out to customer support, we were amazed how fast they responded and how fluid their assistance was. Customer support has always been a painful experience with most manufacturers.
Nonetheless, if you are looking to work with Mac, as well as other iOS-based and Android devices, this EOM-POS Thermal Receipt Printer is not ideal for you.
- It has extensive compatibility with Windows POS applications
- Impressive customer support experience
- It automatically cuts your paper
- It doesn’t work with other devices other than Windows-based
- Doesn’t work with Paypal Here or Square Register
4. Citizen America CT-S310II-U-BK CT-S310II Series Two-Color POS Thermal Printer with PNE Sensor, 160 mm/Sec Print Speed, USB/Serial Connection, Black
The CT-S310II gives you many game-changing features for a much lower cost. This may be an excellent receipt printer for you if you are keen on saving paper and reducing power consumption.
How is this possible?
By utilizing the Save Paper mode, you can slash your paper use by as much as 20%. Also, by switching this CT-S310II to standby mode, you can save as much as 45% power drain (compared to your traditional receipt printer).
It comes with impressive cable interfaces, notably the USB and serial connection. Maintenance is easy with this printer. You can easily take off the printer head if you have any maintenance procedures to execute.
Would you impressed to learn that the LLP (Long Life Print) function of this printer can push the life of your print head for as much as 200km?
The printing speed doesn’t come badly, with this printer giving you 160 mm/s. This can still get the job done pretty fast.
We will not forget to mention that this is one of the most environmentally friendly thermal printers we have used. Its halogen-free housing is not easy to come by.
- It features cutter jam release capacity
- Excellent paper economy
- Can extend the life of your printing head up to 200km
- Cheap to maintain
- Lacks compatibility with most mobile devices
- It would struggle to work without a Citizen POS drawer
- It has no Bluetooth connection, making it less mobile
5. Star MicronicsTSP143IIU GRY US ECO – Thermal Receipt Printer – Cutter – USB – Gray – Internal Power Supply and Cable Included
This is one of the receipt printers to go for if you are searching for premium quality receipts – and if you are willing to spend a premium. Its encompassing set up ensures you don’t need to run around gathering individual accessories for your printing.
The Star Micronics TSP143IIU is supplied with an auto cutter to cut up your receipts perfectly. This means customers wouldn’t have to frown home with torn receipts.
We were very impressed with its wealth of follow-come drives. This saved us the labor of digging through the internet for drive installations, all thanks to its plug and play feature.
Its printing speed is impressive also. We loved the capacity it gave us to customize our receipts. We could spice our receipts with coupons and even our logos easily. We needn’t make modifications to our applications first.
However, the lack of Bluetooth connection handicapped a lot.
- Its printing speed was cool
- There was no need to search for drives
- It is not the most affordable thermal printer
- It lacks Bluetooth connection
6. Epson C31CA85084 TM-T88V Thermal Receipt Printer (USB/Serial/PS180 Power Supply)
We agree, we have pointed out many Epson printers. But this is only because of the excellence of this brand when it comes to thermal receipt printers. The Epson TM-T88V Thermal Receipt Printer doesn’t disappoint either. We have seen this printer massively used in the food and retail verticals.
It comes with the auto-cutter functionality with an impressive printer head life of over 100 km. It is also fitted with an in-built power supply. Meaning it wouldn’t easily drain off when in operation.
This printer is also furnished with the plug and play feature, ensuring you just have to plug your drives plugged and get to your business with no hassles.
It is has a very compact design with dimensions of 10.6 x 9.3 x 7.6 inches, while the weight sits at 5.2 pounds. This means it can fit into very limited spaces.
Its printing speed is top class as well. At 300 mm/s, the printer prints your receipts as fast as it can get.
- Paper rolls loading is seamless
- Remarkable printing speed
- It is suited to high-volume printing
- The reliability of its power supply needs to be improved
- It is relatively expensive
7. Star TSP100 TSP143U , USB, Receipt Printer – Not ethernet Version
We agree, the printing speed is not the most spectacular in the market, but at 125 mm/s (mono printing), it suffices to get the job done. We were altogether impressed with the efficiency of this printer.
Its paper roll loading experience is straightforward. Also, this printer is equipped with a full mounting kit and USB interface.
The assembly process is not exhausting either; within minutes, we could set it up to get going. Its printing resolution is fine at 203 dpi.
This printer leverages the Direct thermal printing technology, being equipped with valuable software tools you need to customize your receipt without modification to the equipment.
Let us face it: at times, the power would go off when we were using it. But overall, it was a nice user experience.
- It is easy to set up and maintain
- It is affordable
- It features direct Thermal Technology
- It lacks Bluetooth connection
- Power can intermittently go off while in operation
8. 80MM USB Network Thermal Receipt POS Printer, MUNBYN White Color Printer with Auto Cutter Ethernet LAN Port Support Cash Drawer ESC/POS
The 80MM Thermal Receipt POS Printer stands out for its efficiency. Its design ensures that it is easy to assemble, maintain, and load papers. It is notable that this printer works well with ESC/PO windows software.
Its printing speed is equally impressive, while the quality of the character is excellent. You don’t need ribbon for this printer; it comes with a paper width of 3 1/8″.
- It had impressive image printing resolution
- It is easy to set up and maintain
- No Bluetooth
9. 3’1/8 80mm Thermal Receipt Printer, MUNBYN POS Printer with Auto Cutter, USB Serial Ethernet Windows Driver ESC/POS RJ11 RJ12 Cash Drawer
This thermal receipt printer comes with 3 interface ports. This includes the LAN, Serial, and USB ports. This is a high-efficiency printer with excellent flexibility, thanks to its “Cook Assistant” capability, which can enhance your efficiency by as much as 65%.
We were impressed with the ease of loading the papers as well as the maintenance routine. This printer comes with the auto-cutter function, which can go as far as achieving 1.5million cuts.
The light at the front of this printer is a game-changer as we barely see such a feature from other brands. The 3’1/8 80mm Thermal Receipt Printer has speeds of 260mm/sec. This printer is compatible with ESC/POS software.
You can moderate the sound volume using the DIP switch. Indeed, the printer installation was less challenging for us. The process was well detailed in the User Manual.
This printer saves you the hassle of procuring ribbons. While most printers sacrifice quality for speed, this printer prints at incredible speeds while retaining its excellent quality of images and characters.
The 3 ports where all helpful except we noticed that the LAN port was quite unreliable when the printer was in operation.
- Very fast
- It is durable and can make up to 1.5million cuts.
- It was easy to maintain
- Quality of LAN port needs to be improved
10. Epson TM-T20II Direct Thermal Printer USB – Monochrome – Desktop – Receipt Print C31CD52062
This is a durable thermal printer equipped with an auto-cutter capacity, which can make up to 1.5 million cuts. The Epson TM-T20II Direct Thermal Printer is equipped with two connection options. These are the Standard Serial cable connection and USB.
If you have been battling paper wastage from other printers, you would want to resort to this printer, which boasts fantastic paper-saving ability. Practically, the Epson TM-T20II Direct Thermal Printer saves you as much as 30% of paper compared to other traditional options.
The speed is equally impressive, with this receipt printer working at 200 mm/s. While the USB and serial connections were excellent and easy to use, we yet missed the advantages that come with wireless connectivity like Bluetooth or Ethernet capacities.
The customer support wasn’t too helpful when we were struggling to download a JavaPOS driver.
- High printing speed
- It has impressive paper-saving capacity
- It is durable
- You will struggle to download JavaPOS driver
- Customer support was quite challenging
11. Bluetooth Mobile Thermal Receipt Printer, MUNBYN 2 Inches 58MM Impresora térmica Printer with Leather Belt Compatible with Android Windows Devices for Business ESC/POS, Does NOT Support Square
This is, without a doubt, one of the best wireless thermal receipt printers you can get in the market at its price range. Its versatility is heartwarming, as it works well with both iOs and Android devices.
It is exciting to note that this printer can support as many as 5 POS systems. We will not deny it; its printing speed needs a bit of upgrade (given the options available in the market today), coming at 90 mm/sec.
Yet, we were impressed with the printer’s head life of 100 km. The printing width comes at 48mm as well.
Its power consumption rate is top-class with a very slow drain. It charges pretty fast too. Mobility is another selling point of this charger. Being wireless, we could easily move it around, thanks to a free leather belt that comes with this printer.
- It is very affordable
- It charges fast and retains charge more efficiently
- It comes with a leather belt
- We struggled to use with some selected POS software
12. 80MM Thermal Printer USB Ethernet LAN Receipt Printer Impresora térmica, MUNBYN Black POS Kitchen Printer with Auto Cutter Support Cash Drawer ESC/POS Windows Mac System
The 80MM Thermal Printer USB Ethernet LAN Receipt Printer is a pretty versatile printer working well with Mac and Windows systems. Typically, this printer is based on ESC/POS print command.
Rather than torment yourself with those printers printing just five receipts all morning, this printer has an outstanding printing speed of 230mm/sec, which is effectively 11.8 inch/sec. As you could tell from the name, the printing width is 80 mm (which is 3 1/8″).
Your printing cost will also be slashed using this printer as you wouldn’t need to get ink cartridges anymore. The connectivity doesn’t disappoint us either with several connection outlets. You could choose between USD, Bluetooth, and RS-232 connections.
The TPH life comes at 100 km. The compact built of this printer will make it you fall in love with it more. It can easily fit into your palm as it is very movable, being lightweight.
The battery is another force to reckon it. It is a 1500mAh lithium-ion battery that charges fast and could hold up to 5-6 days of usage on a full charge. The battery is also supplied with an insulation paste, which you need to peel off before you use.
We will admit we were let down a bit by its incompatibility with Square.
- The battery doesn’t easily drain
- It is durable
- Lightweight and very mobile
- It is not compatible with Square
13. Thermal Receipt Printer Portable Personal Mobile Printer Mini Wireless Bluetooth Printer for Android Systems, 58MM USB Thermal Printer Compatible with ESC/POS/Star Print Commands Set.
This MUNBYN thermal receipt printer is quite identical in features to the 80MM Thermal Printer USB Ethernet LAN Receipt Printer we just spoke about – almost sharing the same handicaps as well. It is compatible with Windows and Mac systems. This printer leverages on Direct Printing technology.
Its impressive printing speed of 230mm/second ensures that it quickly prints your receipt, especially in your business rush hours (or if you are a high-volume enterprise). It is equipped with an auto-cutter function, which gives your customer neatly cut receipts, with the printing width nailed at 80mm.
This printer would serve you for longer, as it can go as far as 1.5 million cuts. Similarly, it saves you getting ribbons. It has a TPH life of 100 km, which is pretty reliable.
Is that all? Not at all!
This printer has an exciting wall hanging design. It is furnished with bottom holes, which enable you to hang it, say in your kitchen easily. This explains why this printer is commonly deployed in reception and kitchen facilities.
However, this thermal printer wasn’t compatible with mobile systems like iOs and Android devices. It also doesn’t work with Square. Without a doubt, these handicaps were notably discomfiting.
- It has a fast printing speed
- Unique hanging design
- Reliable TPH life
- It doesn’t work with mobile systems
- It doesn’t support Square.
Thing to Consider Before Buy
Receipt printers are quite a tangible investment. Hence you want to get your choice right. To arrive at the most suitable receipt printer for your need and budget, there are some critical factors you need to consider. Do you want to learn about them?
Speed is critical when buying receipt printers. The printing speed of your receipt printer affects your general work efficiency as you need receipt printers printing in the shortest time possible to improve the fluidity of operations.
Printer speed is measured in millimeters per second (mm/s), or they can be measured in receipts per minute (RPMs). What range would we recommend?
You should aim for a receipt printer with printing speed in the range of 200-300mm/s. A 300 mm/s speed would give you a receipt per second.
Such a stipulated speed range is even more crucial if you are running a high volume business, and you don’t want customers painfully queuing up for too long, waiting for their receipts to be printed.
One big question when buying receipt printers is how this printer could connect to your computer or other devices. This is why you should be keen on cable interfaces or wireless connections before buying.
You are likely to see Bluetooth connectivity, standard, or USB connections. There are also parallel and serial cable connections.
For receipt printers that would be installed in areas that the customers would see, you want to avoid clutter as much as possible as these are not pleasant sights for your customers.
If you are going with mobile receipt printers, then you should be prioritizing speed and signal strength. These are vital if you are operating a wireless printer.
MiYou Might Also Like:
- 13 Best Backpack Vacuums Reviews and Buying Guide
- 14 Best Car Battery Chargers Reviews and Buying Guide
- 14 Best Jobsite Radios Reviews and Buying Guide
- 15 Best Integrated Amplifiers Reviews and Buying Guide
- 15 Best Metal Detectors for Beginners Reviews and Buying Guide
Mike Zhang. Founder of FamilyLifeShare